A monastery on the way to Thimphu from Paro

March 24, 2010

Travel to Bhutan

I have made it! I am on the plane to Bangkok. Quite a feat, eh? After walking around the Tokyo airport searching for Sake for about 30 minutes, I returned to our gate empty handed. I will have to flaunt my independence and legal drinking age in another country. I was only in the Tokyo airport for about an hour, and I was back on another plane to Bangkok. I wish I had more time to explore Tokyo. Even the courteous head bow in incredibly intriguing and intoxicating. I have an intense urge to explore and I hope the feeling lasts for the duration of my flight. It’s about 2 a.m. my time, and 5 p.m. in Tokyo, very confusing.

Me in the Bangkok airport, about to board plane to Bhutan.


I’ve made it to Bangkok. After countless hours of travel, I am in Thailand; but not for long. We got in at 11p.m. and have a 3 a.m. wake up call in order to catch our flight to Paro. Sleeping almost isn’t even worth it. Bangkok is big, hot, crowded, and humid. Sweat stared to collect on my hands within the 5 minutes after I deboarded. Thai is unlike any language that I have come across. On the way to Bangkok I thought I’d pass the time with a Thai newspaper. I swear, their entire language consists of u’s and n’s but with weird squiggles everywhere.
I believe that I’ve been traveling roughly 36 hours now, staring when we left Sun Valley. Now, in the comfort of the Novotel in Bangkok, Thailand, I have three hours to sleep before we depart. And John just left the room because he realized that he left one of his bags in baggage claim. In order to retrieve his bag he has to somehow get though customs and get to baggage claim. Luckily both Diane and I got all of our bags, even the cowboy hat.

Rough Itinerary:

3 hours travel to Boise
9 hours sleep
5 total hours of transport to Minneapolis
12 hours to Tokyo
1 hour in airport
7 hours to Bangkok
4 hours sleep in Bangkok
3 hours to Paro

We are on the plane on our way to Thimphu. I feel the confines of my old world lifting, and the mobility to explore and find the warrior within prevailing.

No comments:

Post a Comment