A monastery on the way to Thimphu from Paro

April 23, 2010

A week

The week has gone by and I am just about to start another program; basic training for Shambhala. Monday I found myself with a ‘job’ in the kitchen. For most of the week I ended up sweeping, moping, cutting up an assortment of vegetables and fruits, and getting the food line ready. It was great! I really enjoyed working in the kitchen, and will probably pick it up again next week. Last night, the rain/snow began. Today, we have collected a good few inches, and I’m not prepared. When I was packing I still had the 80-degree weather lingering on my skin. Two pairs of shorts and some ridiculous pants were all that accompanied me. Now, trudging through the snow in some sneakers, jeans, and a raincoat, I didn’t feel good about my clothes situation.

My daily routine has become second nature: make it to the dining room by 7:30 for breakfast, eat Cinnamon Toast Crunch (the one thing I’ve discovered with an acceptable amount of sugar) maybe some eggs, busy myself until 12:30, lunch, busy myself again until 6:30 eat, meditate usually, then sleep. Now lunch I’ve become very accustomed to. They have a Noble Silence for 15 minutes, no talking and very relaxing. But usually I just end up awkwardly staring at someone with my mouth full, or theirs, or both. None preferred. But I am excited to start a new program again. My days are starting to drift, as is my mind.

1 comment:

  1. I want to hear more about your "program" - challenging? does it feel natural to you? what do you do?

    ReplyDelete